Watch my interview with Paul full of great tips to save money on gourmet food. And be sure to check out the gourmet recipe below that you can try tonight that will cost you less than $10.
There are 4 main components to this meal. Feel free to add chicken breast or Great Lakes fish, if desired.
- Fill a 2 quart pot FULL of organic baby spinach, steam for about 2 minutes in 1/4 cup of water, only until it wilts
- Purée spinach & 1/2 clove of garlic in a blender, adding the water from the pot so it becomes like a paste
- In a sauté pan, melt a bit of butter with flour to make a light gold roux, add the blended spinach, and mix evenly on medium heat very briefly
- Steam or boil until they feel tender all the way through with a fork
- Garnish: finely chop a few sprigs of Italian parsley, and sprinkle on top
- Steam or boil until tender
- crush & disolve 1/4 bouillon cube in the water to turbo-charge the flavour
- Peel and core several pears
- Boil in a bit of water, add a cinamon stick or two, adding honey and/or maple syrup to sweeten slightly
- Cool in fridge and serve as a cold compote
(when ingredients purchased from farmers' market or ethnic discount grocer)